Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Let's try to get the ball rolling. Finally...

So as you may or may not know I work on the NBC tv show Grimm. B camera focus puller is my official title, I keep it in focus, literally. Blah blah blah boring I know. It's all very technical. You may see some neat camera stuff here but really this is about cookies, and now coffee, cappuccinos to be precise and my expanding skill in latte art. Soooooo... Lets at least start with something.

Every week I bring cookies for the crew and it has really gotten out of hand, every week is different so I have amassed quite a few recipes that need to be shared. As I have said many are from google searches but most have been tweaked by yours truly. I will credit as much as possible as I said, and will include my changes and the results.

I missed last week so lets start there. I was interested in cornflake cookies (still am) and discovered the Momofuku Milk Bar's cornflake chocolate chip marshmallow cookie. Thank you wee eats ( http://wee-eats.com/2012/07/18/the-infamous-momofuku-cornflake-cookie/ ) which is where is took my recipe from. It sounds like the cookies in store are giant (1/3 C each), wee eats made (1/4 C), I went standard about a tablespoon each. So here is my recipe write up, feel free to check the original as currently wee eats has very nice photos and some good baking tips.


Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies
Momofuku milk bar cornflake cookies

-cornflake crunch-
5 C cornflakes
1/2 C milk powder
3 Tbsp of sugar
1 tsp salt
9 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted


Preheat oven to 275 degrees F, line baking sheets with parchment. In a large bowl crush cornflakes with hands to roughly quarter the original size. Add milk powder, sugar, salt and toss. Add butter and toss well to coat, mixture should form small clusters. Spread clusters on prepared baking sheets and bake for 20 min, or until toasted. Let cool completely.

-cookies-
16 Tbsp (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp.
1 1/4 C sugar 256g
2/3 C brown sugar 133g
1 lg egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 C all purpose flour 218g
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 C cornflake crunch
2/3 C chopped dark chocolate 3oz
1 1/4 C mini marshmallows

Sift together the dry ingredients, cream butter and sugar for 3 min. until its very light and fluffy, add the egg and vanilla, and beat on high speed for 7-8 min. At low speed add the dry ingredients, and mix until just incorporated (do not over mix), add the chocolate, cornflake crunch and mix for 30 sec, then add marshmallows and mix for 30 sec. If still not incorporated, fold in with a spatula. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour, or until firm.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop tablespoons of dough at least 2 inches apart maybe three (my cookies spread quite a bit), onto prepared baking sheets. I recommend a #100 disher for this to get consistent cookies. Bake for 10-12min. Rotate baking sheet half way through, The longer you bake the crispy they get which isn't necessary a bad thing. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets until firm. Transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.

So I had moderate success my first go round, about half were perfect and the other half spread like crazy. I blame my negligence. I ran out of time and refrigerated overnight uncovered and the dough dried out. I would not recommend, the uncovered part or the overnight part. I would get to dishing them out once they are firm. Makes about 4 dozen three inch cookies if I remember correctly. I will most certainly make these again and I have a few ideas for spin offs. I'll keep you posted on those.

No comments:

Post a Comment